Jeera, cumin, rice.
- Wash 1.5 dl (150 ml) of basmati rice and let it strain in a colander.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pot. Add two teaspoons of urad dal (split black gram), or red lentils. Roast in the oil for a minute making sure to stir.
- Add 1 tsp of cumin seeds and a piece of star anise. Roast in medium to low heat until the cumin has become brown.
- Now add the rice to the oil and spices and sauté it for about a minute. Add 300 ml of water and a pinch of salt (you may also want to add half a tsp of turmeric).
- Bring to a good boil without the lid on, turn off the heat and place a clean kitchen towel in between the pot and the lid. Let the rice rest on the stove for 15-20 min. When you open the lid, the rice should be steamed and ready to serve.
- Add some oil for the extra shine. You can also top your jeera rice with roasted nuts.
This recipe serves two or three rice-eaters (Calculated on the basis of 0.5 dl per person, aka a scoop of 50 ml uncooked rice).