Zucchini and Fennel soup
Creamy and Unctuous – this is the word that comes to mind when thinking of this soup. Oh, but wait, that was two words…
Creamy, unctuous and comforting, these are the two words that spring to mind when thinking of this zucchini and fennel soup. Oops, I did it again, that was three words. Let me start again.
Creamy, unctuous, comforting and nurturing, these are the….oh, never mind.
I guess that what I really want to say is that this zucchini and fennel soup has qualities that our bodies and minds crave in these times of autumnal transition.
For four portions of zucchini & fennel soup you will need:
1 fennel in cubes
2 medium-sized zucchini in cubes
1 small onion finely chopped
1 garlic clove finely chopped
2 tbsp cashew nuts
1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
1 vegetable stock cube (try an organic, non hydrogenated option!)
pinch of salt
1 tbsp oil or butter
500 ml water
- Heat up 2 tsp of oil or butter in a pot and add the garlic and onion. Let soften on medium heat.
- Add the fennel and bake for some minutes while stirring. Add the zucchini and keep on stirring.
- Add the third tsp of oil or butter, the pinch of salt, the water, the stock cube and let simmer until the vegetables are soft, but not mushy. Remove the pot from the heat.
- Slightly grease a non stick pan and throw in the cashew nuts and pumpkin seeds. Roast until golden and add to the soup. Using a mixer or a vegetable masher process the soup until creamy, but not totally smooth. Some texture lifts the taste.
- Decorate with pomegranate, parsley and pine nuts.
Oh, and take care of yourselves.