This weekend I wanted to roast seasonal vegetables in the colours of the rainbow. I made a list of potential candidates and listed them by colour…
Orange: carrots and sweet potatoes
Red: Raw red pepper
Green: kale and fresh parsley
It’s not a complete palette, I know, but I can assure you that even so, my palate was happy.
If you have any good suggestions for blue vegetables by the way, I am all ears. All I could think of was blue corn, but as it is not the most accessible of vegetables around here, I skipped blue all together and jumped to purple right after green.
First I roasted some kale and then I proceeded with the rest of the vegetables cut in thin wedges. I arranged them colour-wise on a platter and added the raw red pepper and parsley to complete the composition.
The good thing about baking vegetables in the oven like this is that you need very little oil (I used 2 tablespoons). It is also very neat and quick – you just need to place the vegetables on an oven tray and bake them for around 35 min on high heat. And last but not least, the result is very pleasing to the eye.
- 5 small (3 medium sized) potatoes
- 1 big carrot
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 4 beetroots
- 200 g kale
- 2 tbsp oil
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of chili flakes
- a pinch of rosemary
- Set the oven at 225 °C (437 °F)
- Line an oven tray with parchment paper
- Wash the kale, remove the (thickest) stems and cut each big leaf in half
- Rub some oil into the kale leaves, place them on the tray and bake for 10 min in the middle of the oven until crispy
- In the meantime, wash and peel all the vegetables and cut them into thin wedges
- Peel and slice the beets last and place them in a separate recipient for obvious reasons
- Add the oil and spices to the vegetables and use your hands to distribute it evenly
- Do the same with the beetroots
- Take out the kale from the oven and place it on a platter
- Arrange the vegetables by colour on the tray
- Place the tray in the middle of the oven and bake for 20 min
- After 20 min, turn up the heat to 250 °C (482 °F) and bake for another 10-15 min until golden
- Monitor the vegetables and adjust the cooking time according to the performance of your oven
- Arrange the vegetables on the platter next to the kale