Start your day with the perky taste of orange, combined with grated fresh ginger, mint, dried fruits, nuts, chia seeds and a coconut topping. This orange ginger chia jam is like sunshine in a jar.
The jam is prepared in advance and kept in the fridge overnight. In the morning it is topped with roasted desiccated coconut and pumpkin seeds.
It can be eaten directly out of the jar, on a piece of toasted bread (would go perfectly with a layer of tahini!), or as a complement to your morning cereal.
- 1 orange cut in small pieces
- 1 cm fresh ginger, grated (adjust amount according to taste)
- a pinch of fresh or frozen mint, finely cut
- 1 date/fig & some raisins
- 2 tsp chia or psyllium seeds
- some chopped nuts (such as walnuts, almonds)
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut
- pomegranate seeds (optional)
- On a cutting board, finely cut an organic orange in fine pieces
- Place in a clean glass jar together with the juice
- Slightly mash the orange to get its juices out
- Add the grated ginger
- Mix in the chia seeds, the date or fig cut in pieces, the raisins, the chopped nuts and the mint
- Adjust the amount of ginger according to taste; remember that the jam will taste sweeter in the morning when the dried fruits have soaked in the orange juice
- Close the lid and keep the jar in the fridge overnight
- In the morning, slightly grease a skillet and roast a tablespoon each of coconut and pumpkin seeds on medium heat
- Sprinkle the jam with the coconut/seed mix and pomegranate seeds