In this vegetarian Tex Mex dinner version, the tortillas and tacos are replaced by fresh lettuce wraps.
The meat gives its place to an aubergine mince. Otherwise, the usual suspects are there: steamed sweet corn, chopped cucumber, raw tomato salsa, veggie salad, cheese dice.Eating with the hands, stuffing crisp lettuce leaves with different kinds of goodies is much more satisfying than you’d think. You won’t miss the tortillas, nor the tacos and nachos, I promise!
Aubergine mince (2 big portions):
1 big aubergine finely diced
1 yellow onion finely chopped
2 garlic cloves finely chopped
30 gr walnuts crushed
1 tomato chopped
1 tbsp tomato purée
2-3 tbsp oil
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili
1 tsp paprika powder
2 tsp oregano
1.5 tsp rock salt
1 tbsp wine vinegar
1 tsp sugar
- Remove part of the aubergine skin and cut it in fine dice. Sprinkle with salt and place in a strainer, set aside for minimum 30 min. Rinse the aubergine and squeeze out the excess water.
- Finely chop the onion and garlic. Bake in a pan in a tablespoon of oil until soft. Set aside.
- Heat up a tbsp of oil in a pan. Add the aubergine and the walnuts and bake for some minutes before adding the spices. Mix.
- Let the mince bake on medium heat for around 15 min not forgetting to stir from time to time.
- Add the tomato, the vinegar, the sugar and the onion. Bake for another 10 min, until the tomato has softened.
- Finally, add the purée and about 100 ml (more if the sauce becomes too thick) of water. Turn down the heat and let bake for another 10 min, until the aubergine is tender.
Green fingers, happy tummies.
Have a great weekend!